About the Job
CHANEL is looking for a Senior Group Director-People and Organization Fashion Retail. At a glance, this position plays a key leadership role within People & Organization and as a key business partner for Head of Fashion Retail across all fashion points of sale in the US. Responsible for driving all areas of P&O including HR Strategy, Leadership, Employee relationships & compliance, Talent recruitment and retention, etc. Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 15 years of overall HR experience.
What impact you can create at Chanel:
- In consultation with leadership, responsible for the development, business case and implementation of human resources and OD strategies that support the success of the business
- Understand each functions mission and priorities and apply HR expertise to develop unique solutions for diverse employee populations
- Establish and drive strategic People & Organization for Fashion Retail objectives in line with organizational objectives, partnering with business leaders to align priorities and goals with the right talent and resources for the future
- Contributes to the total US HR strategy through proactive ideas and partnership in execution with the broader P&O team, connecting with HRGS and COEs in the process
- With retail leadership and appropriate COE , drive strategy around action planning employee engagement surveys
- Support the teams on organization and business issues including but not limited to culture, change, talent preparedness, team effectiveness and HR projects
- Act as coach/consultant to senior leaders on HR related issues as well as serve as employee advocate and change agent
- Drive collaboration and partnership with each COE community, ensuring broader retail P&O team is doing same
- Lead a nationally dispersed team of 3 direct reports and 6 indirect reports, developing goals meant to stretch the capability of team of HRGs
- Implements development plans for direct reports, seeking opportunities for development of team via key projects and initiatives
- In partnership with Head of Fashion Retail, drive coaching and development of Fashion Retail Leadership (inclusive of regional leaders and boutique leadership)
Employee Relations & Compliance:
- Oversees team of HRGs to ensure management and resolution of complex employee relations issues. When needed, conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations; otherwise, coaches direct reports to do same
- Identify need for consistency across HRGs , partnering with internal P&O team to ensure consistency in handling of employee relations issues.
- Collaborate with Home Office Retail Operations and AP team when employee concerns are related to standard operating procedures and/or loss prevention concerns
- Partner with counsel to prepare for, and when necessary, attend mediations, arbitration, and other court/legal proceedings.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local employment, pay and workplace laws and regulations. Partner closely with Legal, Benefits, Payroll, and external vendors to establish alignment and respond to inquiries
Talent – Recruitment and Retention:
- Partner with leadership on talent agenda – focus on critical skills and roles needed for the future, identification of top talent, development opportunities, performance management for underperformers and succession plans
- Seek to follow global philosophy while understanding unique nature of retail space
- Ensure development places are in place and active in order to support retention and growth of top talent
- Develop robust talent pipeline and strategies to attract, develop and retain key talent (inclusive of retail teams and People & Organization team)
- Identifies training needs for business units and individual leadership coaching needs, providing direction to direct reports to develop and roll out training initiatives.
- Evaluates and monitors those training programs to ensure success.
- Follows up to ensure training objectives are met and continually utilized
- Collaborate with retail recruitment team to fill open roles, allowing for a wide range of diverse candidates and hires; key influencer in hiring of boutique leadership
- Partner with finance and retail experience team on headcount needs and related budgets
- Continue to support upgrading and updating onboarding process in partnership with Coe
Compliance / Policy / Procedure:
- Knowledge of and continual research into best practices in the ODHR space; with specific knowledge of Us/New York State retail employment practices.
- Topics include business process, talent management and development, hiring, employee relations, policies and procedures, change management, problem solving, meeting design, etc.
- Communicate and ensure understanding of organization policies, culture, and procedures as well as local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop and clarify policies as business evolves
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to retail leadership (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Supports retail leadership by providing People & Organization counsel and support with decision-making
- Support the corporate teams on organization and business issues including but not limited to culture, change management, talent preparedness and team effectiveness
- Positively influence decisions by actively representing employee interest.
You are energized by…
- Working in a highly collaborate and relationship focused environment
- Leading transformational projects (anticipating future changes around topics like compensation, performance, etc.)
- Highly comfortable working in complexity and ambiguity; leveraging new ways of working, navigating stakeholders and leaders who are not always aligned in approach
- Understanding different perspectives, comfortable challenging and optimizing ways of working
What you will bring to the team…
- Minimum of 15 years of experience overall; (Must have minimum of 5 years of managing large teams and minimum of 5 years of HrBP experience)
- Experience supporting retail teams ideal
- Must have extensive experience with complex employee relations query’s
- Experience in navigating complex global mobilities
- Masters in Hr not required, but a plus
- Travel requirements – this role will be expected to make national and local market visits. Travel expected to be around 25%
Chanel is a private company whose values are grounded in creating the conditions for people to perform at their best and feel fulfilled and confident in their work. We offer a unique work environment where individuals are encouraged to better understand the brand, the business, and motivations, so that together we can unlock the possibilities of growth. This is reflected in:
Diversity and Inclusion
- At BAAND , we are intentional in promoting Diversity & Inclusion. We foster respect, empathy and dignity for all. We believe strongly that the diversity of our people across the full spectrum of human differences is essential to our organisation and the connections we have with each other and our clients.
- We offer Employee Resource Groups in the Us that are voluntary, open to all, employee-led groups formed around a shared identity or lived experience, whose aim is to foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community aligned with the values and missions of the communities they support.
- BAAND Community empowers our employees to channel their passions, talents and sense of purpose to contribute to and learn from our communities.
- Employees are encouraged to take time off annually to volunteer through BAAND Community. BAAND also matches employee donations to select charitable organizations.
- BAAND Mission 1.5° is our climate action plan. It is focused on transforming the business in line with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement on climate change to limit the average global mean temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels.
- Employees are encouraged to contribute to our Us Sustainability efforts at the corporate level and within the divisions, through organized taskforces and initiatives.
Arts and Culture
- We are committed to extending our legacy of cultural engagement. Global support includes the CHANEL Culture Fund, which supports a select group of leading art culture institutions across the globe, and the CHANEL Next Prize for the next generation of creative talent. US support currently includes Annual sponsorship of the MoMa film program, Tribeca Film Festival programs and Through Her Lens, Support of the Academy Gold Fellowship for Women and Sponsorship of the BAAND Together Dance Festival at Lincoln Center.
Career and Leadership Development:
- We have dedicated in-house teams focused on supporting the onboarding of employees, developing leadership skills via custom programs like Imagine Chanel People, Heart of Leadership and group and individual coaching, and blended online and live classes offered on our Bloom platform and by skilled trainers, such as Shape Your Career, to develop career building skills.
- Base salary, bonus potential and other forms of variable pay [may/will be] offered for this position
Benefits and Perks
- Flexibility (flexible time and hybrid work options)
- Wellbeing resources include dedicated paid time off for wellbeing (2-week August Office Closure and Wellbeing Days in Retail) and a Wellbeing fund
- Family and care giving benefits (inclusive of parental leave, fertility support, MilkStork, and Care.com Membership)
- Generous paid time off policies to include vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer days
- 401K, pension and other incentives
- Robust healthcare offerings; medical, dental, vision, MDLIVE (virtual care), One Medical, Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care & Dependent Care), Health Savings Account and Employee Assistance Program
- Life insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Health Advocate, International Business Travel Accident & Medical, and Commuter Transit & Parking