The Associate Designer is responsible for a variable amount of design, development and selection of materials, silhouettes, colors and patterns for a specific classification or area. The position embodies the company’s values and practices by maintaining effective collaborative relationships, taking pride in the company and brand, embracing diversity in all facets of the role and representing a hunger for knowledge and responsibility. Assists in fabric research, development and fabricates basic core items seeing garments through to production.
- Serve as liaison between Design, Product Development, Technical Design and Merchandising to ensure information flow is accurate throughout the development process.
- Build collaborative relationships with vendors and internal clients across departments and divisions.
- Manage technical package process, to include drawings, measurements and design detail specifications, as well as hand-off to Product Development.
- Thorough knowledge of the line (silhouettes, yarns/fabrics and design details) and responsible for tracking changes/additions.
- Maintain Design archives library.
- Maintain specification sheets, trim sheets and pitch sheets.
- Participate in concept review and line building recaps, in addition to line review.
- Coordinate all changes from Line Review and communicate to cross-functional teams at Line Review recap.
- Generate design ideas.
- Assist with identifying seasonal fashion direction, assortment opportunities and merchandise trends for area of responsibility.
- Assist with Design Presentation Boards; Research competitive market and present results and deductions to Designer.
- In Designer’s absence, conduct fit sessions (first through fourth fits) and keep supervisor informed.
- Interface professionally and work effectively in group settings.
- Mentor, coach and counsel direct reports on performance expectations (when applicable).