Have a FaceTime or Skype interview coming up? Here are a few quick tips for success:
- Setup your background, be sure it’s professional. The interviewer should be focused on you and what you have to say, not your living room decor or family photos. When in doubt use a blank white wall, and be sure you have good lighting.
- Dress professionally—just like you would in person.
- Testing 1…2…3…. If this is your first video interview, have a friend call you as a test. (Also, be sure they can find you on Skype.) Ensure your video and audio are both good to go, and know how to turn them on/off in case of issues during the call. Also, be prepared for it to turn into a phone call if your interviewer has a connection issue on their end—which will happen about 25% of the time.
- Use your computer, or stabilize your phone near eye level. Under NO circumstances should you hold your phone in your hand.
- Look at the camera. Be sure to make eye contact by looking at the camera. A good trick on your computer is to move their picture up next to your camera.